Make Your Pie Legit: How To Create a Lattice Pie Crust
This classic pie topper is easier than you think.
There's nothing more American than apple pie! Here's how to get the perfect lattice crust for your next picnic or bake sale:
Start with a good recipe for pie crust. Check to make sure the recipe yields enough for a double pie crust. If not, double it.
Click here for a delicious double buttermilk crust.
- Roll out half of your dough and line the pie pan. Pinch the edges of the crust to make a ruffled edge. Chill while you prepare the filling and the top crust.
- Roll out the other half of your crust and cut into 1-inch strips. If you want an even fancier top, you can use a pastry wheel (like this one) for patterned edges.
- Lay 5 strips of dough vertically along the pie.
- Fold strips 1, 3, and 5 back halfway.
- Place one horizontal strip in the middle of the pie.
- Fold back strips 1, 3, and 5 over the horizontal strip.
- Fold back strips 2 and 4 halfway.
- Place the second horizontal strip.
- Keep working this way, alternating between the odd and even vertical strips until you've covered the whole pie.
- Trim the edges of the strips and pinch to combine with your ruffled edges. Brush with cream or egg wash and sprinkle lightly with sugar. Bake according to the recipe's instructions.
Now go forth, and create beautiful pies!!
SHARE with your baking buddies!