15 Inspirational Quotes from Congressman John Lewis
Stirring quotes from a civil rights legend.
Best John Lewis Quotes
Congressman John Lewis marched alongside Martin Luther King in 1965 in Selma, Alabama which is considered to be turning point in America's civil right movement and led to the passage of the Voting Rights Act of the same year. Lewis has been fighting for democracy ever since. We now honor and remember the legendary John Lewis, and all of his amazing work. Show your respect for this esteemed political game changer and patriotic American by sharing some of his most powerful and inspirational quotes.
Good John Lewis Quotes
• "You cannot be afraid to speak up and speak out for what you believe. You have to have courage, raw courage."
• "You must be bold, brave, and courageous and find a way... to get in the way."
• "Sometimes I hear people saying, 'Nothing has changed.' Come and walk in my shoes."
• "When you see something that is not right, not fair, not just, you have to speak up. You have to say something; you have to do something."
• "The vote is the most powerful nonviolent tool we have."
Great John Lewis Quotes
• "Not one of us can rest, be happy, be at home, be at peace with ourselves, until we end hatred and division."
• "Who gets the bird, the hunter or the dog?"
• "Never give up. Never give in. Never become hostile... Hate is too big a burden to bear."
• "Be hopeful. Be optimistic. Never lose that sense of hope."
• "Some of us gave a little blood for the right to participate in the democratic process."
Inspirational Quotes From John Lewis
• "The government, both state and federal, has a duty to be reasonable and accommodating."
• "The vote is precious. It's almost sacred, so go out and vote like you never voted before."
• "Customs, traditions, laws should be flexible, within good reason, if that is what it takes to make our democracy work."
• "Too many of us still believe our differences define us."
• "I say to people today, 'You must be prepared if you believe in something. If you believe in something, you have to go for it. As individuals, we may not live to see the end.'"
What is your favorite quote from John Lewis? We want to know!