Make Self Care A Priority In 2020. These Books Can Help
Here's a little self-care guidance, because we could all use a little TLC!
It's been a rough year for all of us, to say the least. One thing that we all need to focus a little bit more on is our own self-care. In our busy lives, it can often be difficult to find moments to take for some much-needed self-care. Remember, taking care of yourself physically and mentally should always be your number one priority! Luckily, we've done our research and found 10 books that can guide you through your self-care journey and help give you strategies to focus on self-love, confidence, and inner peace. These books will teach you skills and help you find ways to indulge in self-care through mediation, positive affirmations, mindfulness, learning about independence, and more.
We choose to partner with Bookshop.org when possible to provide you with the following links, so that you’ll be supporting local bookstores with your purchase. Please note if you decide to purchase through our affiliate links we may receive a small portion of the profit.
1. Braving the Wilderness: The Quest for True Belonging and the Courage to Stand Alone by Brené Brown
This #1 New York Times Bestseller is a timely and important book that challenges everything we think we know about cultivating true belonging in our communities, organizations, and culture.
2. The Self-Love Experiment: Fifteen Principles for Becoming More Kind, Compassionate, and Accepting of Yourself by Shannon Kaiser
Put a stop to self-sabotage and overcome your fears so that you can gain the confidence you need to reach your goals and become your own best friend.
3. The Body Is Not an Apology: The Power of Radical Self-Love by Sonya Renee Taylor
In this New York Times bestseller, we learn that to build a world that works for everyone, we must first make the radical decision to love every facet of ourselves. The Body Is Not An Apology is the mantra we should all embrace.
4. Be Unapologetically You: A Self Love Guide for Women of Color by Adeline Bird
Everybody looks at themselves and finds all sorts of reasons not to love what they see or they wait for someone else to give them permission to love themselves. You have to stop waiting and start doing and that takes some work. Self-love is not something that just happens - it's a creative process where you dig deep to find your own soul. You have to let go of comparisons which make you feel less than and you have to see your supposed flaws as your gifts.
5. More Than Enough: Claiming Space for Who You Are (No Matter What They Say) by Elaine Welteroth
“Elaine’s book is a call for young women to find their voice and spark their courage—it’s a book I would have loved to have discovered as a young woman starting my own career.” —Reese Witherspoon
6. Seeking Slow: Reclaim Moments of Calm in Your Day by Melanie Barnes
Are you being consumed by never-ending to-do lists? Are you working harder and enjoying less? Seeking Slow provides simple ways for you to slow down and reconnect with yourself, your family, and your surroundings--while finding joy in doing so.
7. Fear Less: Living Beyond Fear, Anxiety, Anger, and Addiction by Dean Sluyter
These days there's so much fear in the air, you can almost taste it--along with all the varieties of anxiety, anger, and addiction that grow out of it. How can you navigate your way through the fear and confusion, and find your way to peace?
8. The Queer and Transgender Resilience Workbook: Skills for Navigating Sexual Orientation and Gender Expression by Anneliese A. Singh
How can you build unshakable confidence and resilience in a world still filled with ignorance, inequality, and discrimination? The Queer and Transgender Resilience Workbook will teach you how to challenge internalized negative messages, handle stress, build a community of support, and embrace your true self.
9. How to Not Always Be Working: A Toolkit for Creativity and Radical Self-Care by Marlee Grace
This guidebook is filled with practical advice to help you curb your obsessions and build boundaries between your work, your job, and your life.
10. Being in Your Body: A Journal for Self-Love and Body Positivity by Fariha Róisín
An illustrated journal filled with empowering writing practices for approaching your body with compassion.
We Want to Hear From You
What's your favorite method of self-care?