14 Cher Quotes That Are Extremely Liberating
These quotes prove Cher is the unsung hero of the women's liberation movement.
You Better 'Believe' 14 Cher Quotes Are the Best Thing You'll Read Today
Since the 1960s, Cher has reinvented herself again and again. She's gone from variety show host to respected musician to Oscar-winning actress to Vegas showgirl–and everything in between. The one constant in her career? She's always been a fierce feminist.
Her laissez-faire attitude towards men and sex in an era where women were supposed to get married young and depend on their husbands was revolutionary. Cher wore what she wanted, did what she wanted, and slept with who she wanted–and was never afraid to talk about it.
In her nearly 60 years in the spotlight she's graced us with countless words to live by. These 14 Cher quotes will remind you of your power as a woman.
The Best Cher Quotes to Inspire
- "Until you're ready to look foolish, you'll never have the possibility of being great."
- "All of us invent ourselves. Some of us just have more imagination than others."
- "Men are a luxury. Not a necessity."
- "If grass can grow through cement, love can find you at every time in your life."
- "The trouble with some women is that they get all excited about nothing–and then they marry him."
- "We're held to a different standard than men. Some guy said to me, "Don't you think you're too old to sing rock and roll?' I said: 'You'd better check with Mick Jagger.'"
- "If you really want something you can figure out how to make it happen."
- "I've always taken risks, and never worried what the world might really think of me."
- "God made woman beautiful and foolish; beautiful, that man might love her; and foolish, that she might love him."
- "I don't need a man. But I'm happier with one. I like to have someone I can touch and squeeze and kiss. But I don't fold up and die if I don't have a man around."
- "Men should be like Kleenex, soft, strong and disposable."
- "Mother told me a couple of years ago, 'Sweetheart, settle down and marry a rich man.' I said, 'Mom, I am a rich man."
- "I only answer to two people, myself and God."
- "Women are the real architects of society."
Let's Keep the Conversation Going...
What's your favorite Cher quote? We want to know!
Tweet us @womendotcom or follow us on Facebook and Instagram!