Try This Little Hack To Keep Your Berries Fresher Longer
Because moldy, soggy berries are just sad.
There's nothing worse than buying a beautiful carton of berries at the farmer's market, only to find them soft and rotten when you want to use them.
But there's a quick and easy way to make sure they stay fresh for longer so you can have tasty berries when you want them.
Don't worry. It's not that hard.
The Enemy: Mold Spores
Mold and bacteria come with the territory when you buy fresh berries. These guys are responsible for turning your berries into moldy mush. And yes, washing your berries before you eat them will certainly do the trick...if you wait to wash before you eat...you're gambling with the option for potentially ruined berries.
How do you take care of it? The pH of vinegar zaps mold spores before they have a chance to wreak havoc.
Always make sure to wash your produce before enjoying.
The Quick Fix: A Vinegar Bath
- In a large bowl, mix together 1 cup white vinegar with 3 cups water.
- Dump the berries in the bath and let them sit. Gently move them occasionally to knock loose any dirt, pollen, and grossness. The vinegar will take care of the bacteria and mold.
- Drain the berries in a colander and rinse thoroughly.
- Pat the berries dry with paper or cloth towels. Make sure they're fully dry--leaving your berries damp can affect the texture of your beautiful berries.
- Store in a container lined with paper towels. If you're using a Gladware-type container, leave one corner slightly open to prevent any moisture build-up. You could use the original container as well (these come with vents), just make sure to wash them before storing your freshly-cleaned berries.
*Pro-Tip: Raspberries are pretty delicate. It may be better to store these in the fridge and wash just before enjoying.
Enjoy your beautiful berries.
SHARE with your friends to save them from berry travesty!
We hope you love the products we recommend! Before you continue, we’d like you to know that there are affiliate links in this article. This means Women.com may collect a share of sales or other compensation from the following links. Prices are accurate and items are in stock as of time of publication.