Hot Date: How To Cook The Perfect Valentine's Meal For Two
Why fight the crowds when you can stay at home and cook with your honey (and fully enjoy that bottle of wine without worrying about the drive home)?
Filet Mingnon in a Cabernet Sauce
White Cheddar and Garlic Mashed Potatoes
For dessert: Nutella Ravioli with Raspberry Compote
For the steaks
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) of chilled butter
- 2 filet mignon steaks (about 6 oz each)
- 1/3 cup shallots, chopped
- 2/3 cup Cabernet Sauvignon
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/3 cup fresh parsley, chopped
For the mashed potatoes
- 1/2 pound potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 inch cubes
- 2 clove garlic, peeled
- 1/2 tablespoon of butter (best at room temperature)
- 1/8 cup sour cream or Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup aged white cheddar cheese, shredded
For the asparagus
- 1 bunch asparagus (about 1 pound), with ends snapped off - 2 teaspoons olive oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Zest and juice of 1/2 large lemon
- Sprinkle of red pepper flakes (to your own heat preferences)
For the ravioli
- 8 round or square wonton skins
- Olive oil
For the raspberry sauce
- 1 package frozen raspberries (12 oz)
- 1/4 cup sugar
First, start your mashed potatoes
- Boil the potatoes and whole cloves of garlic for about 20-30 minutes. They're done when the potatoes can easily be pierced with a fork.
- Drain potatoes and garlic.
- Mash both to desired creaminess.
- Mix potato/garlic mash with butter, sour cream, salt, pepper, and cheese. Add in milk a little at a time and continue to mix, until desired creaminess has been achieved.
Next, the asparagus
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- While your potatoes are boiling, line large baking sheet with parchement paper or aluminum foil. (No cleanup, hell yeah!) Arrange asparagus on the sheet and drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Toss to coat and arrange the stalks evenly across the sheet in a single layer.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes for small, skinny asparagus. Thicker stalks may need 15-20 minutes.
- Transfer the asparagus to a serving dish. Sprinkle with lemon zest and red pepper and squeeze lemon juice over the it. Toss to coat.
Cook your steaks
- Melt 1 tablespoon of butter in large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Season both sides with salt and pepper.
- Add steaks to skillet and cook to desired doneness, about 3-4 minutes per side for medium.
- Transfer steaks to a plate and tent with foil. Allow to rest.
For the sauce:
- Melt 1 tablespoon of butter in the same skillet at medium-high. Add shallots and cook for 1 minute.
- Add wine and mustard and simmer for about 2 minutes until slightly thickened.
- Stir in parsley and reduce heat to medium-low.
- Whisk in 2 tablespoons of butter and season with salt and pepper.
- Spoon over steaks when ready to serve.
The ravioli can be prepped and the sauce made ahead of time and put into the oven right before you're ready for dessert.
For the sauce
- Thaw the frozen raspberries completely.
- Puree berries in a blender or food processor.
- Strain the puree into a bowl through a sieve to remove seeds.
- Whisk in sugar until dissolved.
For the ravioli:
- In the center of each wonton wrapper, add about 1 tablespoon of nutella.
- Brush water around the edge of the skin and fold in half, pressing to make sure the seams stick. You can press the edges with fork for a pretty edge.
- Arrange the raviolis on a non-stick baking sheet, or one lined with parchment paper. Brush the tops of the ravioli with olive oil.
- Bake at 375 degrees F for 8-10 minutes.
- To serve, drizzle with raspberry sauce.
What to drink
Want to branch out on your own and try something new? Check out these tips for buying a great bottle of wine.