I love tomatoes so much. Like...when I was a kid, I'd walk around biting into whole tomatoes like they were apples. And tomatoes are at their prime in the summer...they taste like warm sunshine. Ahhhh...
If biting into a tomato whole isn't your thing, then a good old fashioned BLT is the best way to enjoy a delicious, juicy, ripe, summertime tomato.
- 8 slices white bread (you can go fresh bakery bread, but plain ol' Wonder Bread is classic)
- 1 pound thick-cut, good quality bacon (if you're feeling bold, go to your meat counter and have them cut you some of the good stuff)
- 3 large tomatoes (heirloom is best)
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise* or "salad dressing"**
- 8 large pieces of iceberg lettuce (soft lettuce just won't do)
*Okay, so in NC, Duke's mayo is a big thing. It's practically a religion. That's all I can, in good conscious, recommend.
**But there's a big divide in my house. My mom and my brother: Duke's mayo and only Duke's. My dad and me: Miracle Whip or, if you're from Tennessee (like my dad), "salad dressing." I think I would faint if I had a BLT with mayo. I crave the sweetness of Miracle Whip and refuse to have it any other way. So you do you. Whatever you prefer is what will make you BLT experience magical.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Arrange bacon strips in a single layer on a foil-lined sheet tray. Bake until crispy, ~15 minutes.
- Slice tomatoes, ~1/4 inch thick. Season lightly with salt and pepper.
- Toast bread to desired crispiness. I like mine lightly toasty, so the bread is still light and springy.
- Once the bacon is finished, transfer to a paper towel-lined plate to drain some of the grease.
- Assemble with a generous spread of mayo or "salad dressing", then layer with lettuce, tomato in the middle, and end with bacon. Spread another generous layer of your condiment-of-choice on the top slice of bread and top it all off.
- Cut diagonally and enjoy in triangles. Because that's the only way to do it.
Add A Little Variety
While I'm a purest and think a BLT is damn fine the way it is...some of you need more. No harm, no foul, but just promise me you'll try it classic-style at least once. Here are some of the best toppings for your BLT:
- Fried egg (the runnier the yolk, the better)
- Avocado/Guacamole (cause duh)
- Roasted red peppers
- Pimento cheese
- Fried green tomatoes (not for the faint of heart)
- Thinly sliced red onion
Yes. It. Is.
SHARE with your fellow foodies!