Easy Warm-Weather Lunch: How To Make The Perfect BLT
Nothing tastes more like summer.
I love tomatoes so much. Like...when I was a kid, I'd walk around biting into whole tomatoes like they were apples. And tomatoes are at their prime in the summer...they taste like warm sunshine. Ahhhh...
If biting into a tomato whole isn't your thing, then a good old fashioned BLT is the best way to enjoy a delicious, juicy, ripe, summertime tomato.
- 8 slices white bread (you can go fresh bakery bread, but plain ol' Wonder Bread is classic)
- 1 pound thick-cut, good quality bacon (if you're feeling bold, go to your meat counter and have them cut you some of the good stuff)
- 3 large tomatoes (heirloom is best)
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise* or "salad dressing"**
- 8 large pieces of iceberg lettuce (soft lettuce just won't do)
*Okay, so in NC, Duke's mayo is a big thing. It's practically a religion. That's all I can, in good conscious, recommend.
**But there's a big divide in my house. My mom and my brother: Duke's mayo and only Duke's. My dad and me: Miracle Whip or, if you're from Tennessee (like my dad), "salad dressing." I think I would faint if I had a BLT with mayo. I crave the sweetness of Miracle Whip and refuse to have it any other way. So you do you. Whatever you prefer is what will make you BLT experience magical.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Arrange bacon strips in a single layer on a foil-lined sheet tray. Bake until crispy, ~15 minutes.
- Slice tomatoes, ~1/4 inch thick. Season lightly with salt and pepper.
- Toast bread to desired crispiness. I like mine lightly toasty, so the bread is still light and springy.
- Once the bacon is finished, transfer to a paper towel-lined plate to drain some of the grease.
- Assemble with a generous spread of mayo or "salad dressing", then layer with lettuce, tomato in the middle, and end with bacon. Spread another generous layer of your condiment-of-choice on the top slice of bread and top it all off.
- Cut diagonally and enjoy in triangles. Because that's the only way to do it.
Add A Little Variety
While I'm a purest and think a BLT is damn fine the way it is...some of you need more. No harm, no foul, but just promise me you'll try it classic-style at least once. Here are some of the best toppings for your BLT:
- Fried egg (the runnier the yolk, the better)
- Avocado/Guacamole (cause duh)
- Roasted red peppers
- Pimento cheese
- Fried green tomatoes (not for the faint of heart)
- Thinly sliced red onion
Yes. It. Is.
SHARE with your fellow foodies!
We hope you love the products we recommend! Before you continue, we’d like you to know that there are affiliate links in this article. This means Women.com may collect a share of sales or other compensation from the following links. Prices are accurate and items are in stock as of time of publication.