Brunching Done Easy: French Toast Bake (That You Make The Night Before!)
Because who actually wants to wake up and cook for a brunch?
French toast with fresh berries is my favorite brunch option. But I do NOT enjoy waking up on a Sunday morning and cooking.
But lucky for us, you can prepare your French toast the day before, pop it in the oven when you roll out of bed in the morning, and Voilà! French toast with no effort.
- 10-12 slices of thick French bread, brioche, of challa, cut into chucks
- 1/2 stick (1/4 cup) butter, room temperature
- 6 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups milk (no skim!)
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Extra maple syrup for serving and berries (I like strawberries and blueberries), if desired.
For crumble topping
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup butter, cold and diced into small cubes
The night before:
1. Coat a glass 9x13 inch baking dish with butter. Add the bread cubes in an even layer into the dish. Toss the cubes to get a little butter on the bread.
2. In a separate bowl, mix together eggs, milk, sugar, syrup, cinnamon, vanilla, and salt.
3. Pour mixture over bread. Make sure to cover all of them.
4. Cover with plastic wrap and chill in the fridge overnight.
5. To make the crumble topping, mix together the flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, and salt. Don't add the butter at this point. Cover the mixture and reserve in fridge.
The next morning:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. While oven is heating, pull the crumble mixture out of the fridge and add the cubed, cold butter. Cut the butter into the mixture with a fork until the butter is evenly distributed and the mixture is crumbly.
3. Sprinkle the topping evenly over the bread chunks. Bake for ~45 minutes, until the center is cooked through.
4. Allow to cool for a few minutes. Then, cut into serving-sized squares, drizzle with maple syrup and top with your favorite berries.
Don't forget the mimosas. Cheers to a stress-free brunch!
SHARE with your brunch buddies!
We hope you love the products we recommend! Before you continue, we’d like you to know that there are affiliate links in this article. This means Women.com may collect a share of sales or other compensation from the following links. Prices are accurate and items are in stock as of time of publication.