Mom's Burn Injury Shows Why You Can't Wear Baby While Cooking
It's a really bad idea.
Molly Landis often uses a baby carrier to tote her 4-week-old daughter on her chest to keep her hands free while working around the house. It's a pretty popular way for new moms who want to keep their newborns close and get work done and for Molly Landis, a registered nurse in Milwaukee, it makes her busy life all the more convenient. After an incident in the kitchen which ended up in fire touching her face, neck and chest, Landis now realizes the dangers of using a baby carrier in the kitchen—and wants everyone to learn from the potentially tragic experience she had recently.
Molly was in her kitchen cooking when her stove burner exploded and discharged a burst of fire towards her face, neck, and chest. The accident caused severe wounds and burns. But it could have been all the worse if Landis had been doing her usual routine and had her daughter on her chest like she typically does. In a [Facebook post(https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10104461700697952&set=p.10104461700697952&type=3&theater), explained what had happened and expressed that hope that her experience will remind parents to be more aware of when they use their baby carrier.
"This is horrible and painful but I haven't been able to stop thinking about how lucky I truly am," Molly wrote. "On this particular night a guardian angel was watching over me and my baby because for the first time in her life she fell asleep in her swing and I wasn't wearing her in the kitchen." Had Molly been carrying her daughter, her head would have been resting on her chest right in line with where the most severe burn from the explosion is located.
Now Molly knows that babies don't belong in kitchens— certainly not close to the appliances. "The point of my message is to please be cautious of the activities we do while wearing our babies! Since this happened I have had so many moms say, 'Oh my God, I do that all the time,'" she wrote. "We never think it could happen to us and I never thought it would happen to me."